Mairie Tourisme Port
Ok
HomeExploring › Its authentic village
The viscount château
The viscount château
Agrandir l'imageThe viscount château
Traditional cayroux wall
Agrandir l'imageTraditional cayroux wall
inside of the ice well
Agrandir l'imageinside of the ice well

Canet and its château are first mentioned at the dawn of the second millennium (11th century). The first mention of the church of Saint-Martin in the heart of the medieval château goes back to 1075.

The fortress covers an area of 3,500 m2.

Half of the interior area is taken up by various buildings forming part of the château, and the other by a sort of empty esplanade, formerly a cemetery until the 13th century. The entrance door to the vast fortified enclosure opens to the south, facing the village. On reaching the square one finds oneself opposite the fortified chapel which with its massive structure protects the entrance to the château itself, located between the nave and a large building with no particular use.

To the west, the mound used as a motte-and-bailey castle and topped by its modern water reservoir. Towards the town, a large round tower (13th century), with its base laid out as a tank. To the north in the shadow of the chapel the ice well dug in 1688 which is in perfect condition. 


Canet-en-Roussillon

OFFICE DE TOURISME
Tel +33 (0)4 68 86 72 00
Fax +33 (0)4 68 86 72 12

Contact us > Order brochures > Canet-en-Roussillon, France
Youtube Facebook

www.ot-canet.fr
Wifi Zone Tourisme Qualité Office de Tourisme de France Qualité Sud de France Qualité Tourisme
Its geographical location
Its history
Its beach
Its port
Its lake
Its arboretum
Its aquarium
Its authentic village
Hotels
Camping sites
Holiday Flats
Seasonal rental Agency
Private holiday rentals
The chef's Catalan recipes
Eating out
Festivals and events
Markets
Leisure facilities
Leisure activities
Shops
Maps and Street plans
Links and useful numbers
How to get to Canet
Smart ideas for getting around Canet
Parking in Canet